Coffee streusel cake

A very Happy New Year.

I wanted to make a different sort of cake, so searched through my books till I found this recipe in an old book of world cookery belonging to my Mum. It's of German origin.

Preheat oven 160C/gas3
Grease and line a 20cm square tin.

115g butter
115g caster sugar
2 eggs
175g sr flour
4 tbspn milk
1 tbspn instant coffee dissolved in a tbspn boiling water

Streusel:
85g walnut pieces
1 level tspn coffee granules
115g soft brown sugar
2 tbspn plain flour
30g butter [melted]

Beat the butter and sugar together till nice and creamy.
Add the eggs and beat again.
Fold in the flour, milk and coffee.
Spread half of this mixture into the tin.
Put the streusel ingredients into a blender [ except butter] and make into a fine powder. Add the butter and give it all a quick whizz.
Sprinkle half of this on top of the cake mixture and top with the rest of the cake mixture,
Then sprinkle the remaining streusel on top.

Bake for about an hour in the middle of the oven. Leave to cool in the tin.


I changed the recipe by adding the coffee into the cake mixture - it was meant to be added to icing sugar to be drizzled over the cooked cake. I felt that having the streusel on top was enough. Also I didn't blend the streusel finely - I wanted some texture left, so kept it somewhat chunky.

Comments

Rhyleysgranny said…
This looks and sounds wonderful. One to try.
Choclette said…
A delicious sounding cake especially with the streusel topping.
Really like the sound of this but most of the people that I foist my cakes on don't seem to like coffee-flavoured cakes. I might try a different flavouring, though.
Snowy said…
Thank you for your kind comments.I'm sure it would work with other flavourings Phil.
sounds delicious - I'm trying to limit my coffee intake, but that wouldn't include coffee in cake!!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Lemon Coconut Slices

My favourite Plum Tart

Galette des Rois with Chocolate and Hazelnuts