Jenny's Peach Tart

My friend Jenny came to stay recently, and as usual, brought me a few recipes she thought I'd like. We've always exchanged recipes, and her cheesecake is legendary in my family.
I have to say that I cheated a bit, as I used tinned peaches because I couldn't find any ripe ones in the shops; it still tasted great. It's very simple - peaches in frangipane. You can use bought pastry too. Jenny said that it tastes better if you grind whole almonds, instead of buying ground almonds ready done. It didn't take long to whizz them in the food processor.



                           400g shortcrust pastry [can use butter JusRol if you're feeling lazy]
                            200g whole blanched almonds
                            150g caster sugar
                            125g  unsalted butter
                            2  eggs
                            5 peaches, skins removed and halved (or you can use tinned - 10 halves!]
                            5tbspn apricot jam
                             icing sugar to dust

Preheat oven 180C/gas4
Grease a 23cm loose-bottomed tin

 Line the tin with the pastry, leaving edges overlapping and chill in the fridge for 20 minutes.

 Filling:
Whizz the almonds in a food processor till they look like coarse breadcrumbs. Set aside. 
Beat butter and sugar together till light and fluffy, then add the eggs and almonds. Mix together.
Don't put it in the fridge or you'll never be able to spread it on the pastry! 

 Line the chilled pastry with foil and beans, and blind bake for 20 minutes. 
Trim off the overhanging pastry. 

Reduce the oven temperature to 150C/ gas 2. 

Add the almond filling and arrange the peaches on top.
Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, till golden brown. 
Melt the apricot jam in a saucepan and brush over the top of the tart, then dust with icing sugar. 
Serve warm with cream or ice cream.



I love the texture of frangipane - the soft almond mixture, then the contrast with the peaches and the crunch of the pastry. This would work with other fruit like plums, apricots or pears, but the fruit needs to be able to hold it's shape when cooked, so soft fruit wouldn't be any good. Another idea would be to make individual tartlets.  Suelle from Mainly Baking blog made some lovely gooseberry frangipane tartlets. Have a look here. Oh, my idea of not using soft fruit isn't valid!
I have a lovely fluted tartlet tin, so think I'll make some tartlets using a different fruit, which I'd slice before adding to the frangipane mixture.

Comments

Suelle said…
Thanks for the mention! I don't really need to say how much I like frangipane tarts. Peaches are a great idea, but you are right about how difficult it is to find ripe fruit in the shops. I recently bought two punnets for a fruit salad when guests were expected, and ended up having to poach them instead, even though I'd bought them more than a week ahead.
Jean said…
This looks fabulous.
I love frangipane tarts and I could just eat a couple of slices right now.
Frangipane is a wonderful thing and not just because it's such a nice word. I love this one.

Popular posts from this blog

Lemon Coconut Slices

My favourite Plum Tart

Galette des Rois with Chocolate and Hazelnuts