Bavarian Apple Cake

You can never have too many apple cake recipes, and I needed to make something for friends coming for a cuppa and chat. My lovely German dil, whom I've mentioned several times on here, gave me this recipe. It's easy to make, but is an unusual cake.


Preheat oven to 220C/gas8 .  Line the base of a 20cm springform tin and grease the sides.

Cream 125g butter with 75g caster sugar and 1/2 tspn vanilla extract, then fold in 150g plain flour. It will be a bit of a crumbly mixture. Press this into the base of the tin and spread with3 tbspn of seedless raspberry or apricot jam.

In another bowl beat together 225g cream cheese, 45g caster sugar, 1 egg and 1/2 tspn vanilla extract and pour this over the jam.

Peel and slice 4 medium apples; I used Coxes, then toss the slices in 75g of caster sugar and 1 tspn of cinnamon till they're well coated and spread these evenly over the cheese mixture. Sprinkle with flaked almonds.

Put the cake tin on a baking sheet in case anything leaks out! Bake for 10 mins then turn the oven down to 200C/gas6 until the top is golden and the cheesecake set - about 40 mins. Cool in tin, then turn out onto serving plate.



Photobucket


The jam and cheesecake are very unexpected and the latter makes the cake rich and moist. We loved the layers - the cakey layer, then the jam, the soft rich cheesecake and then crunch of the almonds.
My dil told me she'd had a disaster with this once, when the butter leaked out of the bottom of the tin into the base of her oven and sent smoke into the kitchen when she opened the door! Hence the baking sheet. But happily, I had no problem.



Comments

Suelle said…
This sounds like my sort of cake!

Popular posts from this blog

Lemon Coconut Slices

Aberffraw cakes

My favourite Plum Tart