Cinnamon Apple Cake

This is a lovely big sharing cake. It's very moist and uses a lot of apples- great for windfalls! I used Gala Apples, but you could use Granny Smith, Golden Delicious or an apple of your choice.
My friend gave me the recipe, and it's really easy to make. You can never have too many apple cake recipes!

You need:
1kg sliced apples, 400g caster sugar, 2-3tspn cinnamon, 190ml vegetable oil - I used sunflower, 3 eggs, 250ml orange juice, 1 tspn vanilla extract, 375g plain flour with 2 tspn baking powder and 1/4 tspn salt.


Preheat oven 180C/gas 4                Grease a 23cm round cake tin well and line base. My dil had my round tin on loan, so I used a 23x30cm cake tin, and it worked out fine.

Toss the apples with 100g of the sugar and the cinnamon.

Blend the rest of the sugar with the oil, then add the eggs, orange juice and vanilla extract.

Fold in the flour mixture and beat to make a batter.

Put half the batter into the cake tin and top with the apples. Spoon the rest of the batter on top and bake for 45-60 mins till golden.

Cool on a wire rack. I added some sliced apples in the photo- added colour!

It's a lovely moist cake; it ends up with a crusty layer on top,soft cinnamon apples in the middle, then a spongy cake layer underneath.


Comments

You really can't have too many apple cake recipes. This looks like a very nice variation - I can't remember seeing a recipe with orange juice in it before.

Popular posts from this blog

Lemon Coconut Slices

My favourite Plum Tart

Galette des Rois with Chocolate and Hazelnuts