A Normandy Apple Tart

Lovely Autumnal look to the trees around here, so thought of making something with apples. I love apple cakes, but having just made 2 for a leaving lunch, thought I'd make a tart. Having yet another sort out in a cupboard, I found a bottle of Calvados with just enough left to put in my tart! Got to be a Normandy Tart with Calvados!

This is yet another recipe I got from my lovely neighbour in France, and I've made it many times for friends and family.

You need: 1 pack of butter puff pastry, 4 medium apples, 160g caster sugar, 50g butter, 1/2 tspn cinnamon, 2 eggs,100ml crème fraîche, 1 tbspn Calvados and some flaked almonds

Preheat oven 210C/gas7                       Grease a tart tin lightly

Peel and core the apples and cut into thick slices.
Melt the butter in a pan and add the apples, 30g of the sugar and the cinnamon.
Cook gently for a few minutes, but be careful they don't stick to the bottom and burn!
Roll the pastry out and line the tart tin. Prick all over with a fork then add the apples. Put in the oven for 15 mins.
Whip the cream and eggs together then add the rest of the sugar and the Calvados. Mix together till smooth.
Take tart out of the oven and pour over the cream mixture. Sprinkle over some flaked almonds and return to the oven for a further 15 mins.


For a special occasion, my neighbour would sprinkle some sugar over the tart and pour over a glass of Calvados then set it alight!
I love the mixture of textures - the crumbly pastry, the soft cream mixture and the caramelised apples. A lovely treat!


Comments

Absolutely delicious. The apple tarts of Normandy have been a great source of joy to me over the years and I totally approve of the flaming Calvados option.

Popular posts from this blog

Lemon Coconut Slices

Aberffraw cakes

My favourite Plum Tart