Apple Custard Cream

Sorry I haven't posted for a couple of months. I've not been well, and had family problems too, so have spent time in London.

 I was given a bag of apples and wanted to make something different. Browsing through my recipe folder I found this recipe. It's an egg custard over apples, but the custard is made with cream.

Lovely to have as a pudding as we're now into Autumn.

For the apples:  50g butter, 1 kg cooking apples, 50g sugar and the zest of 2 lemons
For the custard topping: 825ml double cream, 50g sugar, 4 eggs plus 2 yolks, 50g demerara sugar and 1/2 tspn cinnamon

Heat a frying pan and add the butter and apples, peeled cored and sliced.  Cook for 6-7 mins till soft but still keeping shape. Add the sugar and zest and cook for a further 2-3 mins.
Pour into an ovenproof dish.
Beat the eggs, yolks and sugar together; warm the cream over a gentle heat then add to the eggs and gently mix in. Pour over the apples. Mix the brown sugar with the cinnamon and sprinkle over the top.
Bake in preheated oven, 180C/gas 4 for about an hour, till set but still a bit wobbly.


It feeds about 8 people, and is really delicious, with the buttery cooked apples and the lovely creamy sauce. Love the 2 textures - the slightly tart apples and the creamy custard. I'll definitely make this again.

Comments

I'm sorry to hear that life hasn't been treating you well recently, but I'm pleased to see you back. This seems like a gloriously old-fashioned sort of pudding to me. This is definitely the sort of pudding I'd save space for and it's perfect for the time of year.
Snowy said…
Thank you Phil.

Popular posts from this blog

Lemon Coconut Slices

Aberffraw cakes

My favourite Plum Tart