Galette de Rois aux Pommes

 In France, the tradition is to have a Galette de Rois for Epiphany, January 6th., the visit of the Wise Men. I love these almond filled galettes, but decided to try something different this year and added apples.

You need: 2 packs of puff pastry, 3 eating apples, 200g crème fraîche, 200g ground almonds, 100g caster sugar + 40g, 3eggs and 1 egg yolk


Preheat oven 220C/gas7                 A baking tray

Cut the apples up into small cubes and put into a pan with the 40g of sugar. Caramelise for about 10 mins. Add 1 tbspn of the cream and mix together.
In a bowl mix together the rest of the cream and the 100g of sugar, the ground almonds and eggs. Put this in the fridge for 10 mins.
Roll out the pastry sheets. Cut out 2 large circles [I used a large dinner plate]. Put one of the circles on the baking tray and cover with the apples. If you have one, put a bean or little fêve in, then spoon over the almond
mixture. Cover with the second circle of pastry and pres the edges together.
Dilute the egg yolk with 1 tbspn water then brush over the pastry. Make a pattern on top using the sharp point of a knife.
Bake for 25 mins.


I liked the tartness of the apple with the sweetness of the almond, but I still prefer the original version.

Comments

I feel guilty for not keeping up the tradition, but I've not eaten a Galette de Rois for many years now. Your picture reminds me what I'm missing. I must admit that I almost always used to go for an apple-filled version. I suppose that's a result of spending a lot of time in Normandy.

Popular posts from this blog

Lemon Coconut Slices

Aberffraw cakes

My favourite Plum Tart