Carrot Cake Muffins

 I’m a great muffin fan and have adapted my basic recipe, given to me by an American friend, many times. This is my latest idea. I made the muffins and was asked by a friend if I could make some for a party with the icing you usually get on a carrot cake. 

280g plain flour, 1 tbsps baking powder, 1 tspn mixed spice, pinch salt, 115g soft dark brown sugar, 200g grated carrot, 50g chopped pecans or walnuts, 50g sultanas, 2 eggs, 175ml milk, 6 tbsps sunflower oil

Optional: icing - 75g soft cream cheese, 49g butter and 35g icing sugar, sprigs of orange zest

Preheat oven 200C/gas6. Grease a muffin tin or use muffin cases.

Sift together the flour, baking powder and spice. Add carrots, sugar walnuts and sultanas and stir together.

In a jug add the milk, oil and beaten eggs. Mix well.

Make a well in flour mix and add milk mixture. Stir gently till just mixed. Don’t over mix or muffins will be heavy.

Soon into the muffin tin - I use an ice cream scoop.

Bake for 20 mins till risen. Cool on a wire rack

Icing - Put the ingredients in a bowl and beat together. When the muffins are cold spread some icing on top. I had some orange zest left over from another cake so used it up. Put muffins in fridge till you need



The muffins are good. You can taste the hint of spice and there are good texture contrasts with the nuts and carrots.

Comments

Good idea. The combination of textures and flavours in the cake and topping are real winners.

Popular posts from this blog

Lemon Coconut Slices

Aberffraw cakes

My favourite Plum Tart