Souligne beef casserole

Had a good time in the UK at Christmas, but came back with bronchitis.
Am feeling fine now, so thought it was time I started to post on here again.
Am trying to use up the food in the freezers, so found some beef and decided to make a casserole. It's bitingly cold here today, so just right for a nice tasty casserole.

Having looked at lots of recipes, nothing really inspired me, so I decided to make my own recipe.
 It's for 2 very generous portions and is a meal in itself. Maybe some nice crusty bread to mop up the sauce?
Here it is ready to cook.


200g beef
2 leeks sliced
3 carrots chopped
tin chickpeas
2 tbspn tomato puree
bouquet garni
1 cinnamon stick
250ml beef stock
200ml red wine
s&p

Brown beef in a casserole dish. Add chopped eeks and carrots and cook gently for 2 minutes.
Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer gently until beef is cooked - the time depends on the cut of beef you're using. I used beef shin and it took 11/2 hours.
That's it!
I know in lots of recipes they tell you to add tinned chickpeas just before the end, but I love them to absorb all the flavours in the casserole.The cinnamon stick gives it a lovely flavour.
Interesting thought, my husband calls it a stew - is it a stew or a casserole? Does it have to be cooked in the oven to be a casserole? Ideas?

Comments

Lynn said…
Good to see you back blogging.

Wikipedia says that it's to do with the pot used (a large deep pot that is used both in the oven and to serve from, and for the food cooked and served from it). Apparently it's french.

Popular posts from this blog

Lemon Coconut Slices

My favourite Plum Tart

Aberffraw cakes