Bara Brith

The Welsh name means speckled or mottled bread.  My Gran used to used make it regularly, and we loved it spread with butter.
There are many versions of this recipe, some use yeast and others use baking powder. This is my Gran's recipe which I've tweaked a bit, and it's very easy to make.

450g/1lb dried mixed fruit
250g/9oz brown sugar
300ml/½ pint warm black tea [I used a Breakfast tea]
2 tsp mixed spice
450g/1lb self-raising flour
1 egg beaten.


 In a large bowl soak the fruit and sugar in strained tea and leave overnight.

Next day preheat the oven to 170C/Gas 3.
Line a 900g/2lb loaf tin with baking parchment.
Mix the remaining ingredients into the fruit mixture and beat well. The mixture will be soft and runny. Pour into the loaf tin and bake for 1½ hours or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
Serve sliced and buttered.





Comments

Bara brith is a wonderful thing and your recipe looks just right to me. I was always told that yeast was traditional but I'm not sure that's really true. I normally use baking powder.
Kelly-Jane said…
I use baking powder too, and love this tea bread.
Perpetua said…
This looks lovely. My recipe adds a tbsp of marmalade and a tsp of mixed spice, but the other ingredients and method are the same.

I was pointed in your direction by Jean of Baking in Franglais by the way.
Snowy said…
Hello Perpetua, thank you for visiting; will thank Jean too.
Where is your French home? We came back last year having lived near La Rochelle for 7 years.
There are so many recipes for Bara Brith; adding marmalade sounds good. I love making tea breads - there are several recipes on here for them.
Perpetua said…
Snowy, I love the fact that I get to practice my French when I leave a comment on your blog. :-) Our French cottage is in the very south of the Manche department in Normandy, about 15 miles north of the border with Brittany. A lovely green area and not too hot in summer. :-)

Whereabouts did you come back to in the UK?
julie said…
I love Bara Brith! I have yet to try it with yeast but spread wih butter it goes so well with a cup of tea!
My favourite! I always come back from being at home with my family with a tightly wrapped loaf or two!

Popular posts from this blog

Lemon Coconut Slices

My favourite Plum Tart

Galette des Rois with Chocolate and Hazelnuts