Plum Flapjack Cake

I bought some plums from a local market. They were very ripe and needed using, so decided to make a plum cake of some sort. I found this recipe in my late mil's notebook, so not sure where it originates. It's a sponge cake with plums on top, then a sort of streusel layer, some of which sank into the cake and made it taste a bit like flapjacks - hence my recipe title!

Grease and line a 20cm springform tin.

Preheat oven 180C/gas4

It's an easy cake to make:

Put 175g soft butter or marg in the bowl of an electric mixer; add 175g soft brown sugar, 2 beaten eggs, 175g sr flour, 1/2 tspn baking powder and 1 tspn cinnamon, and beat together till nice and creamy.

You need 450g plums, halved and stoned. [ If they're not really ripe, put them in a dish in the oven sprinkled with 2 tbspn granulated sugar and bake them for about 20 mins till they've softened.]

Put the plums, cut side up, on top of the cake batter and make the topping.

Melt 50g of butter, add 50g sr flour, 1 tspn cinnamon, 25g oats and 25g flaked almonds and mix together.

Put the topping in blobs over the plums, trying to cover all the cake.

Bake for 11/4 hours till the top's golden.


                  You can see that my cake sank down in the middle - not sure why, as I didn't open the oven door at all -  but this didn't stop it being delicious!



                              This shows what I mean about the top being rather like flapjacks.

We had a slice as a dessert with a blob of creme fraiche. I loved the textures - the soft cake and fruit and the chunky topping with the nuts and oats.





Comments

The local plum trees are not quite ready for picking just yet but I'm looking forward to picking loads of them. This does sound like a fine way of celebrating good plums. I could definitely enjoy this as a dessert any time. In fact, I can't understand why plums aren't celebrated more.
Snowy said…
I agree Phil; we love plums, and I found some Victorias on sale and bought several kilos and froze them.

Popular posts from this blog

Lemon Coconut Slices

My favourite Plum Tart

Galette des Rois with Chocolate and Hazelnuts