Spicy Apple Crumble Cake


Over the years I've gathered quite a lot of recipes for apple cakes, but I found this one recently in an old magazine cutting. I've made crumble cakes before, but this one has 2 layers of apple, so a bit different. It also has some elderflower cordial in it, which sounded like an interesting addition.
The recipe used a 27x25 cake tin, but I only had my Wilton's brownie tin which is 27x17.8 so I made 3/4 of this mixture. Even so, it made a large cake; there was plenty for 6 people and some left over for us. This is the original recipe.

Preheat oven 180C/gas4 and grease and line a 27x25xm baking tin.

Cream together 200g butter or margarine and 200g caster sugar. Add 4 eggs one at a time and beat together.
Add 350g sr flour, 2 tspn mixed spice and 1 tbspn elderflower cordial and fold in. Put half of this batter in the tin.
Peel and thinly slice 500g cooking apples [about 2 large ones] and put half over the mixture in the tin.
Spoon over the rest of the mixture making sure you've covered the apples. Cover with the rest of the sliced apples.
Make a crumbke with 100g each of flour, caster sugar and butter or margarine and a handful of oats.
Sprinkle over the apples and bake for about 45 mins till cooked through.
Cool in the tin then take out and cut into fingers or squares. Serve it warm or cold, as a dessert or as a cake.


                                              We ate it as a dessert with some ice cream.


                                        You can see the apple layer on top of the sponge cake.

I think half the amount in the recipe would be sufficient and maybe use a 20cm square tin. I reduced  the amount of sugar in the crumble and added a tspn of cinnamon.
I liked the contrasting textures - the soft cake, the apple that still had a bit of  texture left in it, then cake more apple and finally the crunchy crumble.
I'm not sure about the elderflower cordial - I couldn't taste it.

Comments

Jean said…
It looks and sounds lovely - apple crumble in a cake, what's not to love?
Suelle said…
I love crumble cakes, and putting the fruit in 2 separate layers, rather than just folding it into the batter, probably keeps the flavour stronger. Apple and elderflower is a new combination to me - must try it some time.
I love apple cake, and I love this type of bake where you can have it warm for dessert or at room temp with a cuppa!

Popular posts from this blog

Lemon Coconut Slices

My favourite Plum Tart

Aberffraw cakes