Rock Cakes

Since coming out of hospital, I seem to have been lucky enough to have had friends visiting. Now I'm feeling better, they haven't been eating 'shop bought' cake! I made a chocolate cake on Tuesday, but gave the leftovers to my friend to take home. Another friend came today and I decided to make her favourites - rock cakes. Don't think I've made these since schooldays.

They were a great hit, and I'd forgotten how nice they are. I suppose the recipe is similar to Welsh cakes, which I often make.

This recipe makes 12 and is from my Mum's notebook - I've changed the ounces into grams!

225g sr flour + 2 tspns baking powder, 100g soft margarine or butter, 50g granulated sugar, 1 egg, 150g mixed fruit and about 1 tbspn milk, brown sugar to sprinkle over.

Preheat oven 200C/gas6              Grease 2 baking trays.

Mis the flour and baking powder together then rub in the fat till it's like fine crumbs. Stir in the sugar and the fruit. Beat the egg and milk together then add to the bowl and  mix. If it's a bit dry, add a little more milk. Put 12 rough mounds of the mixture, 6 on each tray. I used my hands, but you could use 2 spoons. Sprinkle some light brown or Demerara sugar over each cake.
Bake for 15 mins till edges are golden, then cool on a wire rack.
As with most cakes made using the rubbing-in method, these are best eaten on the day they're made.


Not very exciting to look at, but they tasted good! Lovely crunchy outside and a good sugary topping, then a soft inside. A good, plain old-fashioned cake to have with a cuppa.



Comments

I remember being given some truly horrible rock cakes to eat as a child and it put me off them for many years. Then I visited a café that was known for its rock cakes and realised that I had been cruelly misled. I love the way yours look (they should never be neat) and that's a lovely straightforward recipe. Just add copious amounts of tea and some good company and that's my ideal afternoon sorted.

Popular posts from this blog

Lemon Coconut Slices

My favourite Plum Tart

Galette des Rois with Chocolate and Hazelnuts