Galette des Rois with Chocolate and Hazelnuts


A Happy New Year! Bonne Année!

 I can't let Epiphany pass without a Galette, and I think we all need something sweet to keep us going in these difficult times.

 I asked my French friend for ideas for something different and she sent me this recipe. I found the ground hazelnuts in Waitrose, or you could grind your own.

So you need: 2 sheets of butter puff pastry, 125g ground hazelnuts, 100g dark chocolate, 100ml single cream, 1 egg, 75g caster sugar, 50g melted butter, 1 tspn vanilla extract and 1 egg yolk

Preheat oven 200C/gas6                       Baking sheet

Break the chocolate into pieces and melt in the microwave or over a pan of simmering water. Beat the egg with the sugar till fluffy. Add the melted chocolate and mix well.

Add the hazelnuts and vanilla extract and stir together.

Roll out the first sheet of puff pastry and cut out a circle using a large dinner plate or something similar. Place on the baking sheet. Spread the chocolate mixture on top, leaving a 1.5 cm border.

Cut the second sheet into a large circle, the same size as the first, and roll over the top. Press the edges together with your fingers.

Cut the traditional design on the top using the point of a knife, but don't cut through the pastry!

Brush the top with the beaten egg yolk and bake for 30 mins till golden.


I gave half to my neighbour and he loved it. I loved the chocolate/hazelnut mixture, the rich chocolate with a nutty bite. I've always preferred the original almond filling, but this version comes a close second. A great treat as a dessert or as an indulgent offering with a cuppa.

ps, I actually managed to find puff pastry already cut into circles.




Comments

Hazelnuts and chocolate sound like a very fine alternative to me. Actually, I've never been entirely convinced about the joys of the traditional almond filling myself and I always looked for an alternative. In recent years I've been feeling too fat after Christmas to keep up the galette tradition and I've no idea what happened to my mini collection of fèves.

Popular posts from this blog

Lemon Coconut Slices

Aberffraw cakes

My favourite Plum Tart