Rhubarb Cake

 My neighbour brought me a bag of rhubarb from a friend,so I decided to make my Mum’s rhubarb cake. The rhubarb is on the top of the cake. 


150g butter or soft margarine, 115g soft light brown sugar, 1/2tspn vanilla extract, 2 beaten eggs, 150g sr flour, 1/2 tspn baking powder, 50g ground almonds, 1 tspn ground ginger, 1-2 tbsps milk, 

360g rhubarb cut into 2  cm chunks and 3 tbspn Demerara sugar

Preheat Oven 180C/gas4/350F

Line a 20cm springform tin with parchment paper

Cream fat and brown sugar till fluffy. Add the eggs.

Stir flour, almonds, ginger and baking powder together then fold into the mixture with enough milk to give soft dropping mix. 

Spoon into tin, level the surface and scatter the rhubarb over the top.

Sprinkle with the Demerara sugar.

Bake for 45 mins - 1 hour till skewer comes out cleanly.

Cool in the tin.


I didn’t have Demerara sugar so used soft dark brown. The rhubarb still has a good tang to it and isn’t too sweet. I had a slice with ice cream. It’s quite a soft cake, but tasty.

Comments

That's a fine way to use a rhubarb gift. I don't think I know anyone who grows rhubarb at the moment, so I'm very jealous of gifts like that.

Popular posts from this blog

Aberffraw cakes

Lemon Coconut Slices

Carrot Cupcakes with a maple cream cheese topping