Hazelnut sandwich

This recipe is supposed to have Romanian origins.


I've tweaked it a bit, substituting hazelnuts for the original walnuts, and making it a coffee cake, as I love the combination of hazelnuts and coffee. It's the filling that makes this different from the usual Victoria sandwich.

175g butter
175g caster sugar
175g sr flour
1 tspn vanilla essence
3 eggs
2 tbspns coffee essence [I used Camp] or you could use instant coffee dissolved in hot water

Filling:

100g ground hazelnuts
1 tbspn milk
1 tbspn rum
25g sugar

icing sugar for the top

Preheat oven 180C/350F/gas 4
Grease and line 2 x 20cm sandwich tins

Cream together the butter and sugar, add the eggs and vanilla essence and fold in the flour.
Divide the mixture between the 2 tins.
Bake for 20-25 mins till golden.
Leave to cool in the tins for about 5 mins then put the cakes onto a wire rack.

Filling - you can grind whole hazelnuts finely in a coffee grinder or, as I did, buy them ready ground.
 Mix all the filling ingredients together and use it to sandwich the 2 cakes together. Sift some icing sugar over the top.

Comments

Lovely. I just love cakes with hazelnuts - I think they must be addictive in some way. Grinding your own hazelnuts is a bit of a pain so buying ground hazelnuts is sensible but they can be really hard to find.
Snowy said…
Phil, I bought mine in Lidl in France. Must look to see if they do them here.

Popular posts from this blog

Lemon Coconut Slices

My favourite Plum Tart

Galette des Rois with Chocolate and Hazelnuts