English biscuits

These biscuits are a French recipe given to me by my neighbour when we lived there. Not sure why they're called 'English' biscuits! My grandsons are coming today and they love these. My neighbour always uses half plain flour and half potato flour, but as I couldn't find any potato flour, I used all plain flour. Also the recipe uses some cooking chocolate as well as some with praline in it. I used good milk chocolate instead of the cooking chocolate. They seem to have a better selection of good cooking chocolate in France.
 The recipe makes about 30 biscuits
4 eggs, separated
pinch of salt
100g caster sugar
1 lemon
75g potato flour
75g plain flour
100g cooking chocolate
100g chocolate with praline 
Preheat oven 200C/gas 6/400F
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Beat the egg yolks in a bowl with the salt and sugar till they whiten. Wash the lemon, grate its zest, then juice it. Add the juice and zest to the egg yolks.
Beat the egg whites till firm and add to the yolks' mixture.Mix the flours in carefully .
Put tablespoons of the mixture onto the baking sheet, spacing well. Make them into little rounds with a spoon.
Bake for about 10 mins and let the biscuits cool on a wire rack.
Melt the chocolates together then dip the biscuits half way.





Comments

Suelle said…
These look really unusual! It would be interesting to find out why they are called 'English biscuits' as they aren't like any of the more traditional recipes.

Popular posts from this blog

Lemon Coconut Slices

Aberffraw cakes

My favourite Plum Tart