Marzipan cookies



These came about because I had a sort out in my baking cupboard and found some marzipan that needed using up.
 I remembered eating some biscuits in France that had a layer of marzipan in the middle, and they were delicious, so thought I'd have a try and make something similar. I used my usual cookie recipe, rolled out the dough and added a chunk of marzipan to the circles I'd cut out. To give an extra flavour I added a few bits of broken dark chocolate before putting another circle on top and sealing them together. I piped some white chocolate over when they were cold.

I made 12 complete cookies.

150g butter
150g light brown sugar
1 egg
250g flour
100g marzipan
100g dark chocolate, broken in small pieces
100g white chocolate

Preheat oven 190C/gas5
Line a baking sheet with some parchment paper.


Beat the butter and sugar together with an electric mixer, then beat in the egg. Fold in the
flour.
Roll the dough out on a floured surface to 1/2 cm thick, then using a 8 cm cutter, cut out 24 circles.
Put 12 circles on the baking sheet and add a chunk of marzipan and a few pieces of dark chocolate, then cover with another circle. Press the edges together so that the filling doesn't leak out. Bake for about 12 mins, then cool on a wire rack.
Melt the white chocolate carefully and spoon into an icing bag. Pipe lines on the cold cookies.


I loved them - loved the texture and the flavours of the marzipan and chocolate. The white chocolate decoration added a bit more glamour.
A question - are they cookies or biscuits - I don't really know what the difference is?









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lemon Coconut Slices

My favourite Plum Tart

Aberffraw cakes