Tropical Chocolate Cake

I seem to be making a lot of chocolate cakes lately, but this one is a bit different in that it has tropical flavours and ingredients.
 I found the recipe in a booklet I picked up at a food fair, and it's a cake I've been meaning to try. I found a bottle of rum in the back of the cupboard, and as well as my using it for Flognarde, a recipe you can find on  Phil's blog 'As Strong As Soup' , I'm going to use some in this cake [opt].
The tropical part comes from the creamed coconut, pineapple and dessicated coconut.

Preheat oven 180C/gas4 and grease and line a 20cm springform tin.

For the cake:

Cream together 100g soft butter and 200g caster sugar till pale and fluffy.
Stir in 60g melted chocolate and 2 egg yolks. Sift together 175g sr flour and 1 tspn mixed spice, then fold these into the batter with 4 tbspn creamed coconut, 3 tbspn milk and 1 tbspn rum [or you could use pineapple juice].
Beat the egg whites till stiff then gently fold them into the batter. Add 1 tbspn dessicated coconut and mix together.
Spoon into your tin and bake for about 45 mins till golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.

For the topping:

Whip 150ml double cream and pipe onto the cake, anyway you fancy. Decorate the cream with some pineapple chunks from a 200g tin [drained].

.


The flavour of the coconut comes through well, but is not overpowering. Nice soft texture and a hint of rum. Topping finished off the cake nicely, and the pineapple chunks gave it another texture. An unusual cake, and one I'll make again.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lemon Coconut Slices

Aberffraw cakes

My favourite Plum Tart