My Nearly Far Breton

Far Breton is a French speciality from Brittany. The Far bit comes from the Latin farina or flour [hence the french farine I guess]. Doing a bit of research, I found that it was orginally eaten by farming labourers who took it into the fields for their lunch, and it was a savoury flan - a Farz Fourn [oven baked far in Breton].

 It's similar to a clafoutis - a baked custard, and is usually made with prunes. I've gone rather off piste and made the custard then topped it with salted caramel sauce. So I suppose it is a Far, but not a true Breton one - except the caramel sauce is from a jar I brought back from Brittany, and which was made locally there.

Preheat oven 200c/gas 6. Grease a 20cm cake tin [not a springform one in case the custard leaks]  or an ovenproof glass dish .

I find this mixture works best if you mix well between each addition. I have seen recipes which use a food processor, but haven't tried this.

Beat 3 eggs in a bowl, then beat in 130g caster sugar. Add 130g flour and stir in well.

Pour in 200ml of milk and beat well, then when it's well mixed and there's no lumps, add another 200ml of milk and beat this in.

Pour into your tin, then spoon about 12 tspns of caramel sauce over the top. As I said, mine comes from a jar I bought, but you could make your own. 

Bake for 15 mins at the 200C then turn the oven down to 180C/gas 4 for about 35-45 mins till the top is golden brown.






I served this with more of the caramel sauce poured over which I'd warmed gently in a pan -delicious! You have a lovely custard which is soft and smooth, then the moreish caramel sauce. A good variation to the usual Far Breton. 

If you want to make the traditional one, add 100g of prunes after you've added the milk to the batter. You can soak the prunes in rum beforehand for an extra delicious Far.

Comments

Nearly far - wish I'd thought of that. Love that addition of the caramel sauce. I must admit that I do like the traditional prunes, although I saw plenty of far in Brittany that didn't have them.

Popular posts from this blog

Lemon Coconut Slices

My favourite Plum Tart

Galette des Rois with Chocolate and Hazelnuts