Cider Cake


I've mentioned before that my Polish neighbour loves baking, and we have regular sessions together. I thought we'd make some traditional British cakes, so as I had a can of cider left in the fridge, we made a Somerset Cider cake. 

It's easy to make, looks simple, but tastes good.

Preheat oven 180C/gas4              Grease and line a 20cm square cake tin.

You need 125g butter which you cream with 125g caster sugar till fluffy. Add 2 beaten eggs and eat in. Mix 225g sr flour with 1 tspn bicarb and 1/2 tspn each of nutmeg and cinnamon [or more if you want it more spicy]. Add half of this to the batter, then add 200ml cider and mix together. Fold in the rest of the flour and spoon into the tin.

Bake for 35-40 mins.

Cool in the tin, then take out and put on a wire rack and sprinkle some caster sugar over the top.








This is a nice moist cake with a light texture.You can certainly get the apple taste from the cider, and I added a little cinnamon to my caster sugar before sprinkling it on top to give it a bit more spice. You could change the spice mix in the cake - maybe some ginger, or try cardamom?


A simple, tasty treat.

Comments

Sounds lovely. I like the idea of trying some cardamom. It's many years since I made a cider cake and it seems to be one of those recipes that's in danger of fading away. Thanks for the reminder.
Jean said…
It's unusual not to have eggs in the batter. Looks delicious though.
Snowy said…
You are quite right Jean, I have forgotten the eggs. Thanks for pointing it out. Have now added them to the post.

Popular posts from this blog

Lemon Coconut Slices

My favourite Plum Tart

Galette des Rois with Chocolate and Hazelnuts