Hazelnut Cake

Have been on holiday for a week, but yesterday I went to a Polish supermarket with my son's partner and discovered bags of ground hazelnuts. It's not easy to find these, so I was tempted to buy several bags, but I've learnt from experience that they don't keep after the use by date!

This recipe makes a nice, light cake with a lovely praline chocolate topping, easy to make and delicious.

3 eggs - separated
80g caster sugar
70g melted butter
90g plain flour + 1 tspn baking powder
70g ground hazelnuts
90g praline chocolate
chopped hazelnuts to decorate

Preheat oven 150C/gas 2               Grease a 18cm cake tin

Mix the egg yolks and sugar together.
Add the butter, flour and baking powder and the ground hazelnuts and mix well.
Whisk the egg whites till stiffish then carefully fold into the batter.
Spoon into the tin and bake for 25mins.
Cool in tin for 5 mins then finish cooling on a wire rack.
Melt the chocolate over simmering water or in a microwave then pour over the cooled cake.
Decorate the topped with some chopped hazelnuts.



It's not a very big cake, but it's lovely with a cuppa or when you don't need a large cake to feed the family. It has a nice soft, light crumb and the topping adds another flavour layer; the chopped nuts give it a nice bit of crunch.
It's a French recipe from one of my neighbours.


Comments

Lovely looking cake - and I love the soft crumb you always get baking with nuts
Suelle said…
I need small cakes now! This one sounds delicious.

Popular posts from this blog

Lemon Coconut Slices

Aberffraw cakes

My favourite Plum Tart