Lime and Yoghurt Cake


           I like recipes that are quick and easy to make, and this is one of those. I always think 
 of it as'healthy' because it's made with oil and yoghurt! I suppose the amount of            sugar makes it unhealthy nowadays! There always seems to be a lime or lemon or 2 in my fridge and this is a good way to use them up. 
    You need: 250g Greek yoghurt, 80ml sunflower or rapeseed oil, 200g caster sugar ,4 tbspn lime juice and the zest of the lime, 250g plain flour with 11/2 tspn baking powder and a pinch of salt. For the topping – 1 tbspn lime zest and 2 tbspns sugar [so 2 limes altogether]

         Preheat oven 180C/gas4 Grease a 22cm cake tin and line the base.

Mix the yoghurt, oil , sugar, lime juice and zest together in a bowl. In another bowl mix the flour, baking powder and salt together then add to the oil mixture and mix well till combined. Don't overmix or your cake will be tough.

Spoon into the cake tin and bake for 45-50 mins till cake is light brown.

Turn out onto a wire rack, and when the cake is cool, sprinkle the mixed sugar and lime zest.






The yoghurt and oil give the cake a nice moist crumb, and the lime gives it a bit of zing. A nice easy cake, just right with a cuppa. It would work equally well with a lemon.

Comments

Lovely. Very much the sort of yoghurt cake that people in France would tell me they remembered from their childhood, although I'm not so sure that many people make this kind of cake anymore. I used to think of yoghurt cakes as healthy (well, healthyish) too but most people I know now think that sugar is the work of the devil.

Popular posts from this blog

Lemon Coconut Slices

Aberffraw cakes

My favourite Plum Tart