Upside Down Plum Cake

I bought a punnet of local grown red plums, and wanted to use them in a cake rather than my usual pie or crumble.
This is a nice easy recipe I was given by my French friend, and I often use it with different fruits.

250g red plums, 180g caster sugar, 130g soft butter, 100g sr flour, 4 eggs, icing sugar to sprinkle over top [opt]

Preheat oven 200C/gas6                           Grease a 20cm cake tin

Wash plums then cut in half and remove stones.
Separate the eggs and add the yolks to the sugar. Beat till white and fluffy.
Beat in the butter then fold in the flour.
Whisk the egg whites till stiff then fold into the batter.
Line the base of the tin with the plums, cut side down, and cover with the batter.
After 20 mins, turn the oven down to 180C and bake for a further 20 mins.
When cool, turn out upside down and dust the top with icing sugar.



I like the cake mixture - it has a soft crumb and a light texture. It's a good contrast to the juicy plums. The cake makes a good dessert with some ice cream or cream. I sometimes use pears or apples instead of plums.

Comments

The plums at the local PYO aren't ready for picking yet but I'm checking regularly because freshly picked plums are just SO good. (Funnily enough, I decided that I didn't like them when I was young and so missed many happy years of plum eating). I'm bound to pick far too many so I'll definitely keep this recipe in mind.

Popular posts from this blog

Lemon Coconut Slices

Aberffraw cakes

My favourite Plum Tart