Caramel and Chocolate Cake

Have been having a good clear out of kitchen cupboards, including my baking one. Lurking at the back was yet another tin of Carnation Caramel, so had to use it up. Have made this cake many times, but all the family love it. It's easy to make and uses oil, so healthy of course!

75g sr flour, 3 tbspn cocoa, 1 tspn bicarb, 150g caster sugar, 2 eggs, 150ml sunflower oil, 150ml milk, 2 tspn vanilla extract, 125g dark chocolate, 375g tin of Carnation Caramel , 1 tspn icing sugar and extra for the top of the cake

PREHEAT OVEN 180C/GAS4                 Grease and line 2x18cm sandwich tins

Sift the flour, cocoa and bicarb into a bowl. Stir in the sugar. Stir oil and milk together then add the eggs, 1 tspn of the vanilla and beat together. Add this to the dry mixture and beat together. Beat 2 tbspn of the caramel till smooth, then whisk into the batter. It's a wet mixture! Pour into the 2 tins and bake for about 20-25 mins till springy.

Cool cakes in the tins then turn onto a wire rack.

Melt the chocolate in a microwave and stir till smooth. Add the rest of the caramel and vanilla to the chocolate and beat till smooth. Add the sifted tspn of icing sugar and beat in.

Fill the cakes with the icing then spread it over the top. Leave the cake to set. Sift some icing sugar over the top.

It's a really light and moist cake with a good texture. Lovely caramel icing which contrasts well with the chocolate cake. 


Comments

You're making me feel guilty - I really need to sort through my cupboards but I keep putting it off. If I knew there was a tin of caramel there, though, I might just get on with it. That looks a really delicious and suitably sticky cake.
Suelle said…
I love this cake recipe - so reliable. I would almost call it foolproof!

Popular posts from this blog

Lemon Coconut Slices

My favourite Plum Tart

Galette des Rois with Chocolate and Hazelnuts