Blueberry Bars


I don't really do much baking now that I'm on my own, but sometimes I have a need to make a cake!
I bought some blueberries from our local market. They're one of my favourites fruits, and I used to have a bush in my garden. Sadly the winter before last killed it. I love them on porridge, but I had an urge to make a cake with them. I decided on a streusel cake - I love these cakes with the crumbly topping.

So you need:
For the topping
25g caster sugar, 2 tbspn flour and 55g soft butter
For the cake
3 eggs, 200g caster sugar, 220g melted butter, 1 tbspn vanilla extract, 250ml buttermilk, 320g flour, 1 tbspn baking powder, pinch salt,  400g blueberries [washed and dried]

Preheat oven 180C/gas4         Grease and flour a 9"x13"  [23x33cm] cake tin

For the topping - mix the sugar, butter and flour together till like crumbs.

For the cake - In a large bowl beat together the eggs then gradually whisk in the sugar till the batter is nice and thick and fluffy. Beat in the melted butter, then the vanilla and buttermilk.
In another bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add these to the batter and stir till everything is mixed together.
Spoon into the pan and sprinkle the blueberries over the top. Sprinkle the topping over the fruit.
Bake for about 1 hour till golden.
Leave to cool in the tin then cut into squares.


The bars are nice and light, fruity and moreish. They'd be good for breakfast, as a pudd with cream or ice cream or with a cuppa. Will certainly make them again.





Comments

Lovely. I do really enjoy blueberries in cakes and muffins and the idea of a different sort of breakfast with a blueberry bar does sound good. I've often fancied growing my own blueberries but the lack of space and the thought of putting up yet another net to keep the birds from eating the berries has put me off so far.

Popular posts from this blog

Lemon Coconut Slices

My favourite Plum Tart

Aberffraw cakes