Chocolate Mud Cake

 I presume that this cake has its origins in the USA, as there's the famous Mississippi Mud Pie. My family love chocolate cakes, and as my son was coming to visit, I decided to make a mud cake, a recipe I'd kept for ages in my folder. 

So for the cake you need: 220g butter or margarine, 220g dark chocolate, 6 tspn instant coffee, 160ml water, 125g sr flour, 125g plain flour, 50g cocoa, 1/2 tspn bicarb, 480g caster sugar, 4 eggs, 35ml vegetable oil and 110ml sour cream

For the ganache you need: 280g good chocolate, 140ml double cream and 40g soft butter


Preheat oven 160C/gas4                         Grease and line a 20cm round cake tin

In a pan, put the chocolate, butter, coffee and water on a low heat, till chocolate has melted, then stir together.

Sift the flours, cocoa and bicarb together in a bowl and stir in the sugar. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, oil and sour cream together.

Spoon the egg mixture and then the chocolate mixture into the dry ingredients and mix together well.

Pour the batter into the cake tin and bake for about an hour. Cool in tin for 10 mins then finish on a wire rack.

Ganache: pour the cream in a pan and bring to boiling over a gentle heat.

Break the chocolate up into a bowl then pour in the cream. Mix together gently. Add the butter a little at a time, then leave the mixture to thicken.

Slice the cake in half, and use half the ganache in the centre and half on the top of the cake.


It's a delicious cake, but one slice is enough! I expected it to be very sweet because of the amount of sugar, but it isn't. It has a lovely soft texture.

 In the recipe it says you could use peppermint extract instead of the coffee to make a chocolate mint cake, or orange extract and orange zest for a chocolate orange cake.

I asked my daughter in law to take a photo of it, but sorry it's a bit blurry, and I don't know what the black lines are there for!



Comments

That's a very serious chocolate cake. I'd love it but I suppose I'd have to really stick to one piece for the sake of my waist measurement. The idea of a chocolate mint cake is interesting too - I don't think I've ever tried that.

Popular posts from this blog

Lemon Coconut Slices

My favourite Plum Tart

Galette des Rois with Chocolate and Hazelnuts