Gateau Moelleux au Mascarpone

 I've written the title in French because moelleux is a difficult word to translate. It means soft or tender or moist. This cake is soft and moist and simple to make.

 It's another recipe passed on by my French friend [who is my school penfriend from when we were 11!] and is a useful recipe to have, as it can easily be adapted.

You need; 150g flour and 1 tspn baking powder, 50ml vegetable oil [I use rapeseed], 150g caster sugar, 2 eggs, 125g mascarpone cheese, and either the zest of a lemon or a few drops of lemon oil, icing sugar to dust

Preheat oven 180C/gas4                         You need a ring mould, greased

Beat the eggs and sugar till light and fluffy. Add the mascarpone, oil, flour and baking powder and lastly the lemon zest or lemon oil. Mix well.

Spoon into the tin and bake for 30 mins.

Leave to cool in the tin for 5 mins before turning our onto a wire rack. A dusting of icing sugar is all it needs.


As I said earlier, this is a very versatile cake. It can be decorated with fruit such as raspberries, or with nuts. You can change the mascarpone for yoghurt or fromage blanc. It has a lovely soft and moist texture and I love it with a fruit coulis, especially raspberry. It's good to have a slice with a cuppa or as a dessert.



Comments

A lovely, versatile cake that I can imagine being wonderful in a summer dessert. My ring mould has been hiding at the back of a cupboard for years and I'm now feeling guilty about that.

Popular posts from this blog

Lemon Coconut Slices

My favourite Plum Tart

Galette des Rois with Chocolate and Hazelnuts