Caramel Pear Cake

After watching GBBO last week, I thought I'd try my hand at making caramel. My first few attempts burnt or just didn't work, but finally I got the result I wanted. I didn't want a very dark caramel, just a sort of blonde colour. This is my friend's recipe, and it's not one that would win prizes for looks, but it tastes delicious. 

So you need: 150g caster sugar and 3 tbspn water for the caramel, 75 g caster sugar, 100g flour, 2 tspn baking powder, 1kg pears, 3 eggs, 125g soft butter, 3 tbspn milk and 1 tspn vanilla extract

Preheat oven 180C/gas 4                           grease and flour a 23cm cake tin

For the caramel: put the 150g sugar in a pan and add the water. Leave till it's become a light blonde colour,* then pour into the cake tin and leave to cool.

Beat the eggs with the 75g caster sugar till white and fluffy. Add the flour, baking powder, butter and beat together, then add the milk and vanilla and stir in.

Peel and slice the pears and put them in 2 or 3 layers over the cold caramel. Spoon over the batter and bake for 40 mins.

Leave in the tin to cool.


I think I'll add a tspn of mixed spice next time. It has a lovely soft texture, which contrasts well with the pears, and the caramel gives it another layer. A nice Autumnal treat. You could use apples instead of pears. *I didn't give much help on making the caramel. A video on You Tube is helpful!

Comments

One of the things I look forward to at this time of year is good, ripe pears and what could be better than eating them in a cake with caramel? A lovely autumn treat.

Popular posts from this blog

Lemon Coconut Slices

Aberffraw cakes

My favourite Plum Tart