Irish apple cake

Still more windfalls from the garden, so have tried another apple cake recipe. This time it's from Rachel Allen's book 'Rache's favourite food at home'.
I like her style very much; it's straightforward and makes you feel you can achieve what she's done.

Here's the recipe:
225g plain flour
1/2 tspn baking powder
100g butter - room temperature
100g sugar, plus 2 tbspn
1 beaten egg
100ml milk
1 large cooking apple, about 300g, cored, peeled and diced
1 tspn cinnamon

Preheat oven to 180C/gas4/350F

Grease a 25cm ovenproof plate [I used a tin plate belonging to my mum]
Mix flour and baking powder in a bowl and rub in the butter till it looks like breadcrumbs.



Add sugar, beaten egg and enough milk to make a soft dough - it will be wet.
Then pat half of the dough into the bottom of the plate. Put the apple onto the dough and sprinkle with 1 tspn of sugar and the cinnamon.


Spoon the rest of the dough on the top, covering the apple. Sprinkle top with the other tbspn sugar.



Bake for 30-35 mins till golden and serve with cream.

It's really delicious.

Comments

Rhyleysgranny said…
I like Rachel Allen tooo. This looks lovely. I have some apple that need using so i think I'll try this

Popular posts from this blog

Lemon Coconut Slices

Aberffraw cakes

My favourite Plum Tart