Apple and Caramel Upside Down Cake

Have had a bit of a 'lost my cake-making mojo' time lately, but had some apples in the fruit bowl that needed using, so decided I wanted to make one of my favourite desserts - Tarte Tatin - as a cake. I'm a bit of a coward when it comes to making caramel, so used some from a can!

Preheat oven 180C/gas4                             Grease a 18cm springform tin and line the base with baking paper.

Using a tin of Carnation 'Caramel', spread a layer over the base of the tin [think I used about 120g].
Peel and core 2 apples - Coxes or something similar, then slice them and layer them onto the caramel.
Cream together 125g butter and 125g caster sugar till nice and fluffy. Beat in 2 eggs then fold in 120g of sr flour. Add about 2 tbspn milk to loosen the mixture.
Spoon the batter over the apples and bake for 35-45 mins till the cake is risen and golden.
The caramel will be round the sides of the tin!
Cool in the tin for a bit then turn the cake out, upside down, onto the serving plate.
Serve with some nice vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.



This is better as a dessert than as a slice of cake, as it's rather sticky. There's a good contrast between the sweet, sticky caramel and the crunch in the apple. Don't cut the apple too thin, then it will still have some bite to it when it's cooked, and not become mushy. A good way to use up a couple of apples.



Comments

That's a lovely cake. I'm not sure that there are many better cakes than apple cakes in any form. Although I've often made caramel it's not something that I enjoy doing so I really don't blame you for taking a small shortcut. In fact, I must remember that shortcut.
Suelle said…
A simple recipe that looks delicious - using tinned caramel is a good shortcut. Have you managed to find a springform tin that doesn't leak? Mine always do, if I try something like this.
Snowy said…
I lined the outside of the bottom of the tin with foil, Suelle, and it worked. No leaks!

Popular posts from this blog

Lemon Coconut Slices

Aberffraw cakes

My favourite Plum Tart