Blueberry Cake

Our little blueberry bush, in its tub in the garden, has given us nearly 3kg of fruit this year. I've frozen some, but wanted to make something quick to offer my friend when she comes round for a cuppa this afternoon. I found this recipe in an old American baking magazine and it really is quick and easy.


260g plain flour
   200g caster sugar
  120g butter, cubed
1 teaspoon baking powder
250ml milk
2 eggs, separated
150g fresh or frozen blueberries

Preheat oven 180C/gas4
grease and line a 20cm square cake tin

Put the flour, baking powder and sugar in a bowl then rub in the butter till you have crumbs. Put 1/4 of the mixture aside to use as a topping. Add the milk and egg yolks and beat together. Whisk the whites into soft peaks then add to the mixture gently. Spoon into the tin, sprinkle with the blueberries and top with the remaining crumbs. Bake for about 30 mins till golden.




I

Nice soft crumb from the cake and lots of juicy blueberries. Could have it as a dessert with ice cream or cream.

Comments

Kimberly said…
I have made so many blueberry pies this summer, but maybe one more...
Lovely - we both seem inspired by blueberries this week! Love that you picked your own to make it
Snowy said…
I love the topping on your cake CC.
Lovely cake. There's nothing like blueberries in baking. It's good to hear that your blueberry is doing well in a tub. I'm intending to grow more fruit next year instead of veg in the hope that it needs a little less of my scarce time. Blueberry is definitely on my list.

Popular posts from this blog

Lemon Coconut Slices

My favourite Plum Tart

Galette des Rois with Chocolate and Hazelnuts